12.28.2008

Smells Like Teen Spirit

I have a new addiction to being a hermit and watching one tree hill. I stayed in last night and the night before to watch, and I honestly can't say I regret it (though it has led to some pretty overly-dramatic dreams that confused the fuck outta me). I don't what it is with these high school shows that get me so hooked. I recognize that they're mindless, with plot-lines that hardly paint a realistic portrait of those dear high school years, but then I realize, maybe that's why I like them so much. When I was growing up, all I ever wanted was to be a teenager. My best friends and I would play "The Teenager Game", and dress up in teenager clothes and platforms that were way too big on us. We'd think up useless problems about boys, money, parents and school that we thought epitomized high school, and we'd act it out. I honestly think we could've given these tv-show writers a real run for their money. The problem is, once I became a teenager, I realized that the stories and fantasies that fueled my desire to be a teenager were all fake. There were no cheerleaders, no football team (not one that anyone cared about anyway), no baby mama drama. And now, looking back on my high school years that passed, thinking about what I'll be telling my kids about when I describe my high school experience to them, I can't really think of much except for expectations (grades, social, whatever) and experimentation (lifestyles, friends, rebellion). Now that I'm old and wise, a college student and all, I honestly don't feel as though high school is all that it's cracked out to be...I actually didn't care much for it while I was there.
So, back to my original point, I think I'm so addicted to these shows because they are exactly what I thought high school was supposed to be all about, and maybe a little part of me can't let go of everything I had hoped and dreamed of for my high school years. Admittedly, that's a bit sad, but I think it's true.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I can relate to what you are saying. I watch all of those shows as well, and they are thoroughly unrealistic. Yet, I'm addicted. I had all these crazy expectations about high school that didn't occur either, and high school was nothing like I expected. I love OTH though, so we should have a marathon ;)